Obtaining a Duplicate Title

If your Idaho car title has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you'll need to get it replaced immediately. We offer links to resources that will save you time and get you going in the right direction. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Obtaining a Duplicate Title

Idaho Car Title Replacement

Apply for a duplicate Idaho car title by visiting your local motor vehicle office with the following information:

  • Duplicate title application 
  • $28 fee
  • You may also need:
    • Proof of residency:
      • Rental agreement
      • Utility bills
      • School enrollment records
      • Mortgage documents
    • Proof of identity:
      • Current out of state driver's license
      • Original naturalization/citizenship document
      • Certified original birth certificate or certified abstract
      • Valid Immigration and Naturalization card from the Department of Homeland Security
      • U.S. Military photo identification card
      • U.S. passport or passport card
      • Valid foreign passport with a valid U.S. visa
      • Idaho concealed weapons permit not expired for one year or more
      • Veteran's Universal Access Card with photo
      • Native American ID card with photo
    • Proof of lawful presence:
      • Certified birth certificate
      • Certification of birth abroad
      • Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship
      • Permanent Resident card or Resident Alien card
      • Employment Authorization card
      • valid foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and I-94 (with arrival/departure record)
    • You will also need your Social Security card
    • Car registration

For more information on Idaho car titles, please call 208-334-8663 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Idaho Bill of Sale

In Idaho, a bill of sale is not required if the seller has entered the sales price on the vehicle's title form.