Idaho Salvage Title

In the state of Idaho, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Idaho. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a ID Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Idaho Salvage Titles

An auto involved in an accident in the state of Idaho becomes a salvage vehicle if your insurance company deems it a total loss. If the vehicle is restored, you as the owner, have to acquire a salvage title from the Idaho Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Until an Idaho salvage title is issued:

  • You can't have a valid plate on the car
  • You are not allowed to drive the vehicle on roadways of any type
  • You have to have the vehicle pass inspection

Applying for a Idaho Salvage Certificate Title

To apply for a salvage car title in Idaho, you'll need to go to your local Idaho DMV office if you plan on selling the vehicle. Before you can apply for a ID Salvage Vehicle Title, you'll have to submit to the ID DMV an application for salvage certificate, the properly released ownership document, VIN Inspection Certification and a $14 salvage certificate fee.

Idaho Salvage Rebuilt Titles

In the state of Idaho, after you surrender your salvage certificate, then you can apply for an Idaho Rebuilt Title. You'll have to do this at your local Idaho DMV office. First you'll need to complete a Salvage Vehicle Statement, and then pay a $14 title fee. After turning in your forms and fees, an ID title will be issued with the brand of a rebuilt salvage. This is called a Branded Title where the title information will be changed from salvage to rebuilt. Use form ITD 3311 when applying for a Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle title for any salvaged vehicle regardless of age, value or type.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Idaho

An abandoned vehicle title in Idaho can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle, and title it in Idaho, you'll have to first report the abandoned vehicle to local Idaho law authorities, then fill out an abandoned vehicle report. Your next step it to publish a notice in the newspaper that you found an abandoned vehicle, and its location (make sure to ask for a publication certificate). This is done to give the prior owner a chance to claim the vehicle. Next, fill out an ID Application for Certificate of Title form and mail that along with the publication certificate, and the appropriate fees. You will receive a new title and registration from the Idaho DMV through the mail.